Friday, August 16, 2013

Choosing Sides by Tara Mataraza Desmond (Cookbook Review)

*Disclosure- I recieved an e-ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions stated are 100% my own.

Advanced praise for the book-

“Here’s a cookbook you’ll pull from the shelf every time you ask yourself, ‘What should I serve with this?’ Tara Mataraza Desmond has written an inspired and creative cookbook dedicated entirely to side dishes. Accessorizing the main element of the meal, whether for a weeknight dinner, family get-together, or holiday feast, needs to be artful, nourishing, and practical. Choosing Sides brings excitement to every meal with these innovative and contemporary side dishes.” 
–Diane Morgan, author of Roots: The Definitive Compendium

“Oh, to be an entrĂ©e surrounded by Tara Mataraza Desmond’s flavorful, colorful, vibrant sides! In Choosing Sides, Tara offers a modern spin on the humble, oft-neglected accompaniment. Her Chorizo Chard; Blood Orange Wild Rice; and Persimmon, Pomegranate, and Pistachio Salad are but three examples for how to turn supporting players into shining culinary stars. Tara can fill my plate any day.” 
-Cheryl Sternman Rule, author of Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables

My thoughts-

 When I talk to other moms that I know about cooking, the most common thing that seems to be a struggle is coming up with sides. Everyone has their go-to main dishes for breakfast. lunch and dinner and maybe even for dessert, but side dishes are often neglected. Many times, they are almost an afterthought. There are only so many times you can eat a simple salad or mashed potatoes. That is why I was beyond thrilled to discover Choosing Sides on NetGalley. I knew I needed to read it because I often struggle with coming up with side dishes and my husband and I and our kids enjoy having a variety of foods, so I was excited to find this book devoted to the lesser focused on side dish. I was even happier when I saw the vast array of recipes. Meals will never get boring with just this one book. Besides the fact that I have never seen another book devoted to side dishes on the market, Choosing Sides is probably the most well organized cookbook I have ever peaked into.  The side dishes are divided into sections by the type of meal they are meant to accompany and the coolest feature of the book is that at the end of each recipe there are suggestions for what kind of meals would best be suited to serve the particular side with. There are recipes for pretty much anything you can think of- flavored butters, zucchini melts, veggie pies, breads, salads, dressings, tarts, quiches and much more. There are sections for sides that you can make for backyard barbeques or intimate gatherings. There are easy recipes and recipes that are meant to impress. This book really covers everything you could possibly want to know about when it comes to side dishes. This is definitely a book that everyone should have in their cookbook collection, I guarantee you will be grabbing for it often!

Choosing Sides will be available for purchase September 2013. You can pre-order the book on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment