Monday, April 29, 2013

Amish Cooks Across America by Kevin Williams and Lovina Eicher Book Review

*Disclosure- Thanks to NetGalley & Andrews McMeel Publishing for the Advanced Reader's Copy. I was not required to render a positive review and all opinions are 100% my own. 

There is just something about the Amish culture that fascinates me. Sometimes I think I was born into the wrong era in time and I long for less electronic addiction surrounding me (and including me), more walking and less car riding, more time with family and friends and more of a feeling of community. On the other hand, I couldn't be writing this blog without technology, still had I not known it existed surely I could live without it. The Amish have continually lived a simple life even in these modern times and I think we can learn a lot from them about community, family and...of course...great cooking.

I have been reading Amish fiction for quite a long time and I have been in search of a great Amish cookbook for a while because I love creating recipes at home from scratch. This is one area that I guess a few Amish have given in to modern conveniences because several of the cook books I have looked through use ingredients like Velveeta or cream of whatever soup, which was disappointing to me. Amish Cooks Across America by Kevin Williams and Lovina Eicher is exactly what I have been searching for in an Amish cookbook. It is full of the from scratch recipes my heart so desires. Not only that, I was kind of schooled in the Amish culture. Naively, I thought that most Amish people settled in Pennsylvania and that they all shared the same types of recipes. Not so on either account. Amish Cooks Across America is not only full of great recipes, it is full of wonderful insight about many different Amish settlements, all the way from Maine, to the deep south of Texas (I mean deep, like almost Mexico deep) and even in places outside of the US like Canada & Central America.. It ties together the places of settlement to the types of food that are popular with the Amish in each different region. This book points out that the Amish are the original Locavores, as evidenced by their menus reflecting where they live. In addition to the wonderful insight the book provides, there are also some beautiful pictures.  If you are interested in Amish culture or love to get in the kitchen and create some wonderful recipes, this is definitely the book for you!

This book points out that the Amish are the original Locavores, as evidenced by their menus reflecting where they live.

Some recipes highlights:
  • Blueberry-Lemon Buttermilk Muffins
  • Potato Chowder
  • Homemade Baking Mix
  • Apple Bread
  • Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
  • Delicious Green Beans
  • Fresh Green Chili Salsa
  • Breakfast Casserole
  • South Texas Rice
  • Homemade Yogurt
  • Sweet Potato Surprise Cake
  • Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Amish Cooks Across America will be available for purchase on May 28th, but can be pre-ordered now at Amazon.com. Fellow home cooks, this is a must have for your cookbook library!


No comments:

Post a Comment